Skip to main content

Harley Wilkins Pig

    


Harley Wilkens had never owned a pig before. In fact, he never owned any pet. This was a continuous argument with his mother. He was just a high school teen who was getting ready for college, and he wanted to become a veterinarian. If he had a pig, he could study its behaviors, learn about the body parts and what noises it makes when hungry, mad or curious.

              Tommy Flanders was Harley’s best friend since first grade. They did everything together. Tommy was trying to decide what to do with his pig – Bessie, while he was off at college. Harley thought and thought of how to help his friend out.

              “I know” Harley stated, with a big grin on his face, “I will take the pig off your hands”

              “You are crazy” Tommy said, trying not to sound surprised, “Your mom will never go for that. You are getting ready to leave for college, she never let you have even a goldfish and she definitely would not want to take care of it while you are off to school. I am not sure I want to give Bessie up. Why do you want a pig?”

              “I am going to be vet. I think Bessie would be my perfect pet. I just want the pig.”

              The two teens went round and round. Tommy finally decided that Bessie was not going to be cheap. He would make Harley give something up, just as he had to give something up and that was Bessie the pig. Finally, the boys decided that “Babe Ruth” Baseball card would be an even trade for Bessie.

              As much as Harley was ecstatic about owning his first pet, his mother Sarah was equally horrified. The look on her face showed how much she disapproved of Harley bringing a pig into their lives.

              “What are we going to do with a pig? Where are we going to keep it?” she stated

              “Mom, mom, I swear that I will take care of her. We can keep her in the back yard. I will build a fence and I will take care of her”

              As reluctant to give in to her son, Sarah, finally agreed. However, even though promises Harley made that day to take care of the pig, and Sarah agreeing that he could keep it, still did not end the continuous arguments and dismay. Frustration and disagreements were experienced on both sides.

              Then the day came for Harley to go away to college to fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming a veterinarian. As you can guess, the discussion on where Bessie was to go went as followed:

              Sarah: “We can sell her to be slaughtered”

              Harley: “No”

              Sarah: “We can sell her to a pig farmer”

              Harley: “No”

              Sarah: “Then what are you going to do”

              Harley: “I will take Bessie to school with me.”

              Of course, the arguments and debates continued, but in the end, Harley took Bessie to college with him, and she stayed at the Alpha Omega Fraternity House. The other college boys including his best friend Tommy, thought it was the coolest Frat House on Campus. No one else had a pig. So, Bessie became the mascot, and everything was great.

              By the time graduation arrived, not only was Bessie the favorite of the Frat House boys but the entire assembly of college students including the professors, faculty and other staff members. Bessie was likable, enjoyable and always where the action was. In fact, the frat boys helped out in not only convincing the chancellor and president of the school to allow Bessie to Graduate with Harley, but they did pitch in to buy a cap and gown.

              Yes, Bessie walked graduation along with Harley, Tommy and the rest of the frat boys. Everyone cheered her on, even Sarah who sat amongst the other family and friends of the graduating students. Bessie was a hit.

              After the ceremony the big question was “What are you going to do with Bessie now?” Sarah held her breath, she just knew that she was taking Bessie home with her. She dreaded the thought of taking care of the pig and visions of her entire house and yard being in shambles.

It was surprise to all when Harley stated to the frat boys in front of his friend Tommy, mother, and parents of the other frat boys. “Bessie, the pig is staying at “Alpha Omega" as your mascot, as for me I am heading off to my new life, my new career and my new adventures…. And with that Harley rode off on his brand-new shiny Harley Davidson “HOG” into the sunset.

 

This story was the product of one of my writing assignments. I took an online class during COVID days. What do you think should happen to Harley's pig? Is the "Alpha Omega" the beginning or the end of the Harley and His Pig's story?

Feel free to write in the comments.

             

 

 

 

             

 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summertime, Garage Sales and Flea Markets

Summertime is here and I have been to a local flea market....I had a garage sales the Saturday before Memorial Day to get rid of the old and bring in the new.....or "new to me"..... I found burlap, a picture frame, window sheers, home decor, three accent pillows to go with the new bedspread in the master bedroom....and much, much more.....I even found a free-standing garden trellis for $15.00, original price was $112.00.....looks great in the garden....I have not decide what viney flower I will grow, yet....All in all I spent $30.00 including the trellis... I am still looking for more window treatments for the master bedroom, but there are more garage sales and flea markets out there waiting for me.....Happy Hunting everyone...

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

We all have talents. Some are veiled and some are in the open. I have several friends that helped me get through the first few days after Jonny's accident. Lynne helped with the logistics of getting the memorial organized, and driving me to see my son Brandon to tell him the tragic news. Crystal gathered the pictures and the stories of Jonny with me, his brother, his family, and his friends to decorate the display board. Peggy and Ruth were able to comfort me, with their empathetic abilities, having similar losses. My sister and Mom, comforting me and only wishing the plane from Florida brought them sooner. My friend Debbie, whose comforting words, caring and the ability to know what else I needed, such as bringing a wonderful stew, to nourish us and keep my strength up. The list goes on and on. The talents and kindness continues....all of these people were put into my life at different times and different areas. I know that God put them into my life for a reason...I am forever gra

Honest Scrap Award

I have just recently started my blog and Eileen from Umma's World , was the first to post comments. Through her blog and her comments to my post I can tell she is a very gracious and kind woman, who loves her family. I am honored to be awarded the "Honest Scrap", and hope to carry it on to seven of the many inspiring blogs that I follow. I am grateful and thankful that Eileen and my paths have crossed through our blog sites. Now on to the rules of acceptance. 1. Say thanks for the award and give a link to the presenter. 2. Share ten honest things about yourself. 3. Present this award to seven other blogs. 4. Tell them of this award and the rules. Here are 10 honest things about myself: 1. I have learned to let people help me, and I can still be independant, without trying to do everything all by myself. 2. I am truly blessed with friends and family. I always knew how much they meant to me, though I had not realized this til six months ago, how much I meant to them. 3. I a